Archive for Say What?
The term “tucknology” refers to the methods and processes that drag performers (a.k.a. “drag queens”) use to create the illusion of the female form, “down there”.
Being friends with more than a few drag queens, I have grown accustomed to assisting them with their hair, their make-up, and overall look. But there is always a point in the process of getting ready when they excuse themselves, go into the bathroom with a roll of tape and a few layers of undergarments, and come out a changed – woman.
A performer’s tucknology is as unique as their wig, so no two people will necessarily have the same approach. Many implement a “tuck and fold” technique, while others manage to wear very tight underwear and tape down the remaining, offending, buldges. There are more than a few online resources available, for the more adventurous readers out there to peruse… here, here, or even here.
plural -gies. [tuk-nol-uh-gee]
1. noun: the study of tucking and/or binding male genitalia, for the purposes of making them appear to be female.
2. noun: the practice (techniques and processes) that deal with tucking male genetalia.
Ex: “Gurl, whatever techniques you are using down there – your tucknology is workin’ for you!”
[Origin: Joshua Tjaden, 2006]
“Gayby” is yet another portmanteau word (one that combines two words into one) of the words “gay” and “baby” and refers to the little tykes that are adopted or conceived by a gay, lesbian or LGBT couple.
While this word might not yet have caught on in wider circles, there are already “gaybys” being featured on primetime television, as on the ABC sitcom, “Modern Family“.
1. noun: a child that is adopted into a gay, lesbian or LGBT family or home.
Ex: “Chuck… Larry! Your little Fuschia is just the cutest little gayby I have ever seen!”
[Origin: Most likely American. Related words: “gaydar”, “gaysian”, “gayborhood”, etc.]
“What’d she say?! Well let me tell you…”
Some gay men use the word “gurrrl” as a way to reiterate something that they have just said. Or rather, as either an exclamation on its own, or as a way to address someone (usually another gay man). It is best received when shouted or said with a gravelly and/or affected accent. It has been co-opted by mainstream society as a way of stereotyping perceived gay or African-American speech patterns.
“Gurrrl, I sure am hungry!!!”
1. referring to a male or female acquaintance or peer
2. used to address someone in a frank, sarcastic or humorous manner
1. an exclamation used to address a peer in a dramatic or humorous manner
2. a phrase used to add extra emphasis
[Origin: Closely associated with and accredited to African-American and gay slang of the 1990s.]
1. riot grrrl: A grassroots third wave feminist movement deeply connected to the punk rock scene in the early to mid 1990’s. Mostly youth-oriented, riot grrrl was neither an organization or a specific thought, but instead thrived on non-hierarchal “chapters” set up across America and parts of Europe connecting mostly young women with music, a thriving “zine” scene, and direct political action. (courtesy of: urbandictionary.com)